Monday, July 30, 2012

Orange candles.

I recently heard a rumor that you could use citrus fruits to make mini oil lamps, so I thought I'd give it a go.  Here are the results:

I first cut the orange in half, and took out the fruit from the rind. (and obviously ate it).  I cut away some of the extra white gunk, but you really need a good "wick" for it to work properly.  The wick is the white part that is in the middle of the fruit.  Once you have it hollowed out, fill it with olive oil, almost to the top of the wick.  Then light the wick!  It sometimes takes some time to light, so you may need to hold it in the fire a bit.  On the top half of the orange, cut out a big hole.   I cut mine in a star for decoration.

Here's some pictures of my two tries.  Both worked, but the second had a better wick so it worked out better (and burned for hours! I even relit it several different days).

No comments:

Post a Comment